Sunday, February 22, 2009

Parsley Root Soup


Parsley Root Soup
Originally uploaded by Lisa Fagg
I must blog. I must blog. I must blog - now!
I've been remiss in keeping up with my blog. As the weeks slip past, the idea of getting back into the swing of it becomes more and more difficult to contemplate. A friend of mine suggested I restart my blog with a fun topic of mine - FOOD! Since we were talking on the phone I couldn't see her tongue wedged deeply in her cheek - as it must have been! But I got the point - a week later and here I am - writing my first post in many months:

Several months back, our Able & Cole vegetable box contained a surprise - deep in the box was a bunch of what looked like immature parsnips. On closer inspection, we noticed that the tops resembled (very closely!) flat-leaf parsley. What was this? There was a slip of paper in the box that promptly put 'paid' to the mystery - these were parsley roots! WTF?? The piece of paper as helpful as we could want - herein was a recipe - for Parsley Root Soup. Alas, the recipe has been recycled! Not to worry, though, if you're a cook you can see what's involved: Carrots, potatoes, kielbasa sausage, celery, tomatoes, vegetable or chicken stock and, of course, parsley root. Suffice it to say, it was unusual and very tasty. I'm grateful to know, too, what to look for under the earth when my parsley plants get woody, leggy and shuffle off this mortal coil finally - they have more to offer, yet.

No comments: