Sunday, April 06, 2008

Choucroute Garnie

Choucroute Garnie
Choucroute Garnie
Originally uploaded by Lisa Fagg
This is one of the first dishes I cooked after getting back from France earlier this year. My mother first introduced me to this dish when I called her asking what to do with kielbasa sausage other than treating it like an overgrown frankfurter. She suggested this traditional Alsace dish of sauerkraut flavoured with juniper berries and 'garnished' with sausages. It was with much expectation, then, that I ordered this dish in an Alsatian restaurant. I was really impressed at the variety of the meats that were in this dish - an effect I tried to duplicate here. The 'authentic' dish also has pork and thick bacon in it. Next time I'll try adding more meats. All in all, it's a simple repast; easy to prepare, satisfying and warming. Not much to look at on the plate, though!

No comments: